Fort George print
30cm x 21.5cm
One of the most outstanding artillery fortifications in Europe, Fort George stands sentinel on a promontory in the Moray Firth, near Inverness. Named after George ll, it was built as an impregnable base for his army following the Jacobite defeat at nearby Culloden in April 1746. Never seeing action, it has remained in continuous use as a garrison ever since.